Minden Hills Flood – How To Help (PHOTOS) (VIDEO) What’s Happening in the Ontario Highlands #haliburtonhighlands

Ξ May 11th, 2013 | → 0 Comments | ∇ Canada, community, community services, cottage country, events, government/politics, Haliburton Highlands, home, Minden Hills Township, nature, Ontario, spring, video, weather |

How to Help the Flood-Ravaged Minden Hills

IMMEDIATE NEED TO HELP people who have been displaced by the Minden Flood: We need items like hand soap, tooth paste, deodorant, toilet paper, shampoo.

SOURCE: Minden Food Bank

179144_278596848944216_1982178966_n

Aerial View of Minden, April 2013

Aerial View of Minden, April 2013

923349_275630505907517_2020219790_n

Though last week’s good weather helped to dry things up, the fallout from the 2013 Minden Hills flooding is far from over.

In an effort to bring you up-to-the-minute, I’m devoting this post to the Minden Hills area in hopes that you will reach out and support them in any way you possibly can. Over 150 families are homeless and many will permanently lose their homes as they do not have the option to purchase flood insurance coverage since they live on a flood plain.

Please read above “Flood related Community Information” about the latest, streamlined way that anyone, anywhere can donate to the flood relief fund. This makes me so happy as I’m 700 miles away right now and want to help and now can do so on payday using PayPal. Since I’m spending a month and-a-half in the Algonquin Highlands this summer, I intend to do as much of my shopping at local Minden businesses as possible and I hope other folks follow suit this year.

The sun coming out also brought this snap of the Minden Bridge opening this week past:

Minden Bridge reopens

Minden Bridge reopens (May 2013)

Coach’s Corner Minden Hills Flood Relief May 8th 2013

A huge thank you to Ron Maclean and Don Cherry for giving our town such needed national exposure as we work to raise donations for our devastated town. Over 150 families are homeless and many will permanently lose their homes as they do not have the option to purchase flood insurance coverage as they are in a flood plain. Please visit www.pinestone-resort.com and click on the “Donate Now” button to donate to the “Township of Minden Hills Flood Relief” Trust account or visit any CIBC Branch – All Donations so VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

EVERY DOLLAR RAISED IS MATCHED WITH A $2 DONATION FROM THE PROVINCIAL GOVT, ESSENTIALLY TRIPLING THE FUNDS

CBC news report

More damage from high water in Minden Hills.

Fund raising efforts for the Minden Community After the Jump:

(more…)

Good Weather News For the Haliburton Highlands! #haliburtonhighlands #algonquinhighlands #weather

Ξ May 3rd, 2013 | → 1 Comments | ∇ Algonquin Township, Canada, community, cottage country, entertainment, events, family, Food and/or Drink, Haliburton, Haliburton Highlands, Maple Lake Ontario, Minden Hills Township, nature, Ontario, Photography, spring, weather, webcam |

Sunny, Dry Days Should Help Alleviate Highlands Flooding Woes

Kawagama Lake in Dorset Ontario - May 3 2013

Kawagama Lake in Dorset Ontario – May 3 2013

Minden Hills residents in particular have been hit hard by flooding in recent weeks and though water levels are showing signs of improvement, the community remains in a state of emergency. (For up-to-the minute news about flood conditions and relief click
Get Flood Relief Information.)

Help Your Community!

Help Your Community!

With such gloomy circumstances, good weather news is very welcome, indeed. Today is a good example of what you can expect over the weekend and beyond.

Highlands’ Weekend Weather
Weekend Weather Ontario Highland's (May 3-4)

Weekend Weather Ontario Highland’s (May 3-4)

But what about after the weekend?

Weather Forecast for the Highlands May 4 - May 9 2013

Weather Forecast for the Highlands May 4 – May 8 2013

*Click to enlarge for detail.

Through next Wednesday, there is NO rain in the forecast and the majority of days will be MOSTLY Sunny.

Beyond that, in the 14-Day Weather Outlook:

Highland's 14-day Weather Outlook

Highland’s 14-day Weather Outlook

Well, it is spring but from what we see here, the Highlands will be getting a full week’s respite from rainfall with 9 of 14 days calling for no precipitation. The few days with a chance of rain are followed by sunny days, so with any luck there won’t be much back-sliding on the recovery from the flooding. There certainly is reason to be grateful. Low temperatures remain across-the-board higher than normal and the high temperatures, when averaged out, look just about spot-on normal.

Chapleau River Ice melting

Chapleau River Ice melting

After all the mucking about it would be nice to get out and have a little fun so here What’s Happening in May in the Highlands.

aug31bluemoon

Haliburton Highlands Spring Happenings – Ontario PHOTOS – Long Term & 14-Day Weather Outlook #haliburtonhighlands

Ξ March 29th, 2013 | → 0 Comments | ∇ Algonquin Township, business, Canada, community, cottage country, entertainment, events, family, film, Food and/or Drink, Haliburton, Haliburton Highlands, Maple Lake Ontario, maplelakeontario.com, Minden Hills Township, nature, Ontario, Photography, spring, weather, webcam |

The Complete Guide to Haliburton Highlands area Activities and Weather for the Upcoming Week and Beyond!

Kawagama Lake Ontario March 29 2013 (Cr: Weather Network)

Kawagama Lake Ontario
March 29 2013 (Cr: Weather Network)

Well, there’s no denying that spring is here, though Mother Nature seems to be slightly uncertain as the temperatures flit upward in the normal range and then flutter down, slightly below normal. (This applies to both the high and low temps this week.)  Though the calendar assures us that it is indeed spring, in truth we are beginning the transition between winter and spring and so will continue to experience weather that can best be described as ‘unpredictable.’

14-day Haliburton Highlands' Weather Outlook: Simply unpredictable?

14-day Haliburton Highlands’ Weather Outlook: Simply unpredictable?

Steenburg Lake Gilmour Ontario - March 29 2013

Steenburg Lake Gilmour Ontario – March 29 2013

What you can plan for however, is what you like to do to occupy your time and  there is plenty to experience this week and in the weeks to come. Have a look:

What's Happening This Week in the Haliburton Highlands Credit:

What’s Happening This Week in the Haliburton Highlands Credit:

Sugar Shack Shuffle

Sugar Shack Shuffle

Maple Syrup Production in the Highlands

Maple Syrup Production in the Highlands

Dorset Book Club

Dorset Book Club

There is much more coming up this week and well into April in the Haliburton Highlands area so please click the thumbnails (below) to enlarge them and read all about it!

credit

Niagara Fall Ontario - March 29 2013 (PHOTO)

Niagara Falls Ontario – March 29 2013 (PHOTO)

What’s Happening This Week in the Haliburton Highlands – Ontario PHOTOS – 14-Day Weather Outlook #haliburtonhighlands

Ξ March 22nd, 2013 | → 0 Comments | ∇ Algonquin Township, Canada, community, community services, cottage country, entertainment, events, family, Haliburton, Haliburton Highlands, Minden Hills Township, Ontario, Photography, spring, Trails, weather, webcam |

Get the details on the fun times awaiting you in the Haliburton Highlands!
Kincardine Channel leading to Lake Huron

Kincardine Channel leading to Lake (Cr: Weather Network)

Happy spring and Hi to all from the back of my car which is parked next to a Mickey D’s in Frederick, MD! Gotta love that free wifi.(Of course I had to have a cheeseburger and orange drink, too–I’m not a mooch!)  Been here all week without <gulp> high speed Internet but I’m determined to not miss my weekly report of what’s happening in the highlands as well as some gorgeous Ontario photos and the 14 – Day Weather Outlook for the Haliburton Highlands. This post will be a bit quick and dirty as they say, but just the same it is all activities–many fundraising this week–that I think think you’ll glad to know  about.

The weather this first full week of spring  is going to be almost completely seasonal, mostly a tad warmer than normal highs and notable lows that will be higher than normal. Be sure to check it out below.

Haliburton Highlands 14-Day Weather Outlook - March 23 - April 5

Haliburton Highlands 14-Day Weather Outlook – March 23 – April 5 (Cr: Weather Network)

Winterdance Dogsled Tours

Winterdance Dogsled Tours (Credit: Haliburton County Tourism)

Celebrate St. Patrick’s in the Haliburton Highlands NOW – Ontario Sunset PHOTOS – 14-Day Weather #haliburtonhighlands

Ξ March 14th, 2013 | → 0 Comments | ∇ Algonquin Township, Canada, community, community services, cottage country, entertainment, events, family, Food and/or Drink, Haliburton, holiday(s), marine/marina, Minden Hills Township, nature, Ontario, Photography, sunsets, weather, webcam, winter |

Haliburton Highlands’ Happenings!

Chapleau River Sunset Ontario (March 14 2013)

Chapleau River Mulligan’s Bay Sunset Ontario (March 14 2013)

I would love to visit this spot on Mulligan’s Bay and see one of  it’s sunsets live and in person. Unless it is raining. They have a beautiful sunset every night of the week on this area of the Chapleau River.

14-Day Weather Trend West Guilford Haliburton Highlands

I can’t think of a single thing to say about the 14-Day Weather Trend for West Guilford/ the Haliburton Highlands. It looks yucky.

Maple Syrup Harvest

Maple Syrup Harvest

A funny thing I just realized –and it’s not that there is nothing yummier than pancakes with fresh maple syrup (see above). No, what I realized is that I taught my son to pronounce the word syrup, the way I way I was taught. Despite him being 100% Midwest American he pronounces it “seer-up.’ Here in the Chicago area (and maybe the rest of the country–not sure), it is  pronounced ‘sir-up’. As I said, it is indisputable that no matter what you call it, genuine maple syrup is one of the yummiest taste sensations you’ll experience!

Duntroon Highlands Nordic

Duntroon Highlands Nordic

Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!

St Patrick's Beef Stew & Biscuit Dinner

St Patrick’s Beef Stew & Biscuit Dinner

McKeck's

McKeck’s

thurs

« Previous PageNext Page »
  • Archives